Open to New Opportunities, Freelance Consulting Work in Business Strategy, Writing, and Business Development
Hey! I am Nick Robinson a curious generalist and a compulsive problem-solver with roots in technical theatre and experience in the daily trials of building and operating a startup. Equal parts creative and analytical, I see the big picture and execute on the minutiae.
Whether creating and automating business processes, copyediting, building a website, business development, or developing a financial model – I'm the kind of person who can wrangle just about any problem and lend a broad perspective along the way.
The common thread among all of the roles I've played – from stage manager to startup operator – is a love for the messy, genesis stage of an idea or a project. My passion is harnessing that
chaospotential and molding it into something beautiful and concrete. To go deeper, check out my story.
Business Associate | Techstars MetLife Digital Accelerator
Sept 2020 → Dec 2020
- Built an airtable system to automate operations and reporting for the accelerator, saving 100+ hours of menial work over 3 months.
- Advised cohort startup on pricing strategy, leading to the roll out of a new pricing scheme that increased revenue and EBITDA 3x.
- Built custom conference space in Remo, facilitating 200 mentor meetings with startups over two weeks.
- Consulted on venture capital fundraising strategy and deck development with 10 startups driving $1mm+ in committed capital during the program.
Traveling to Grow in SE Asia
Jan 2020 → Aug 2020
- Broke my leg in Pai, Thailand; sheltered in place on an island in Malaysia for 3 months during COVID-19; and, was culturally enriched in ways I could never have imagined.
Quicken Loans Family of Companies & Woodward Original
Aug 2016 → Dec 2019
My principal project at Rock Ventures – the parent company of the many startups in the Quicken Loans Family of Companies – was to help Woodward Original, an in-house video production company, to roll out and become a standalone company. I was thrust into financial modeling, project management, and building an operating infrastructure for the young company.
On February 1, 2017, Woodward Original launched as a standalone creative house with a mission to change perception through story for brands, causes, and cities. I chose to join them in the roll-out, spending the next three years managing the company's operations and subsequently working in business development.
→ Business Development + Account Manager | Woodward Original
June 2019 → Dec 2019
- Built a $1mm+ pipeline and closed over $400k in new work
- Reengaged and strengthened past client relationships resulting in a 300+% increase in lifetime value of key clients
→ Director, Finance & Business Operations | Woodward Original
Aug 2018 → June 2019
- Oversaw day-to-day operations of 20-person film company
- Built an operating system for the firm including CRM, systemized project budgetting tools, financial analysis, and SOPs that led to 40% average YOY growth for 3 years.
- Implemented staggered billing system, smoothing AR and cash flow by 50%
- Adopted EOS company-wide, unifying leadership team and driving team-wide mission alignment
→ Project & Operations Manager | Woodward Original
Feb 2017 → Aug 2018
- Project Managed 300+ videos and a creative team of 15, meeting or exceeding gross margin goals 90% of the time.
- Managed key operating functions with professional services teams at Rock Ventures including HR, Legal, Accounting, Finance, and Tax.
- Adopted Monday.com and built project management schema that reduced project related email by 90% while increasing efficiency.
- Helmed 60-day coordinated effort to develop the media component of Detroit's Amazon HQ2 proposal.
→ Special Projects Coordinator | Rock Ventures
Aug 2016 → Jan 2017
- Special Projects support to Dan Gilbert (Chairman, Quicken Loans) primarily focussed on Arts, Culture, and Media initiatives.
- Developed and iterated initial financial model for Woodward Original with assumptions from co-founders and advisory team, leading to successful company launch.
- Joined team as a Venture for America Fellow.
Production Coordinator | Boston College Arts Council
Apr 2013 → May 2016
- Coordinated a 3-day, campus wide Arts Festival including 8 venues and 40 performance groups.
- Hired, trained, and managed a 20-person staff and over 100 student volunteers.
👨🏻🎓 Education & Affiliations
Venture For America | 2016 Fellow
- A two-year fellowship program, founded by Andrew Yang, that pairs recent grads with startups and entrepreneurial opportunities to drive job growth in post-industrial cities
- Completed 5-week Training camp with intensive courses and project work including consulting skills and system thinking (McKinsey), design thinking (IDEO), and Excel (Train the Street)
Boston College | Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Theatre Arts & Political Science Class of 2016
→ Catalyst Summer Business Program | Carroll School of Management Summer 2015
Theatrical Credits Include:
- Director – Bug by Tracy Letts
- Stage Manager – A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, Clean House
- Light Design – Cabaret, Red, Next Fall, & many dance shows
- Technical Director – The Last Days of Judas Iscariot, Dancing at Lughnasa
- Design Thinking
- Systems Thinking and Design
- Writing: copywriting, communications & proofreading
- Data-Driven Decision making: financial analysis, budgeting, and modeling
- Excel + Google Sheets (pivots, SQL queries and basic macros)
- Methodologies: EOS, Human Centered Design
- Creative Direction
- Keynote Presentations & Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- Leading Brainstorming Sessions
- Project Management
- Process Design and Improvement
- Event Planning, Production, and Design
- Basic Web Design + CSS
- Lighting Design
- Google Sheets
- Microsoft + Google Suite
🎭 Work for the Arts
THE CATAPULT PROJECT | Fundraising Strategist
2020 → Present
- Developing business plan and fundraising assets for nascent non-profit at the intersection of arts and entrepreneurship.
DETROIT SESSIONS | Young Professional Committee
2017 → Present
- Executive Produced and Directed two documentary shorts capturing innovative collaborations between the Detroit Sessions and visiting artists.
- Strategic advisor to founder on programming, fundraising and donor cultivation
OPERA MODO | Board of Directors
2018 → Present
MICHIGAN OPERA THEATRE | Young Patrons Circle
2018 → 2019
- Host Committee Co-Chair for BravoBRAVO! 2019 Gala
ⓒ 2020 Nick Robinson. All Rights Reserved.